1 pound Italian sausage, mild or hot
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 ounce can) crushed tomatoes
1 (10 ounce bag) fresh spinach
4 cups beef broth
1 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
8-10 uncooked lasagna noodles broken into smaller pieces
1 teaspoon dried basil
Salt & pepper to taste
Toppings: ricotta, shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheeses; to taste.
- Add the onion and sausage to a large soup pot (remove sausage casings if using whole sausages). Brown the sausage and onion for 5 minutes, over medium-high heat, breaking it up with your spoon as you go along. Drain off excess fat.
- Add the garlic, and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Stirring so garlic doesn’t scorch. Shake in some salt & pepper.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, beef broth, water, Italian seasoning, basil and spinach – let that cook 2 minutes before adding in the lasagna noodles. Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium (covered, with the lid slightly askew) for about 15 minutes, or until the pasta is tender. Stir soup a few times just to ensure the pasta isn’t sticking.
- Top each bowl with a dollop of ricotta and a small handful of mozzarella and parmesan. Reheating Leftovers; you may need to add some beef broth or water to help thin out the soup, since the noodles soak up the liquid.