This Apple Crisp recipe is loaded with fresh sliced apples and topped with a crisp and buttery cinnamon oat topping. It’s completely irresistible served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Why You’ll Love This Apple Crisp
Every year we go apple picking in my parent’s yard. They have 4 apple trees that really produce so we like to get creative with those apples to capture the season. Apple Crisp is on our regular rotation in Fall because it calls for a generous amount of apples and it is:
There’s nothing like pulling an apple dessert out of the oven to draw everyone into the kitchen. Who can resist the sweet aroma of a baked Apple Crisp?
Apple Crisp Video Tutorial
If you enjoyed this video for Apple Crisp and want to see all of our videos, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel. P.S. Click the BELL icon to be notified when we post a new video.
Ingredients for the Best Apple Crisp
- Apples – we used golden delicious apples, but there are so many that would work well (see list of options below)
- Lemon juice – keeps the apples from browning and adds flavor
- Sugar – adjust to taste depending on how tart your apples are
- Flour – helps to thicken the bubbly apple juices. You can substitute with corn starch for a gluten-free version.
- Cinnamon – our favorite complimentary spice for apple recipes
For the Apple Crisp Topping
- Flour – bonds the crumb together
- Oats – add a crisp and chewy texture to the topping
- Sugar – we combine brown sugar and granulated sugar
- Cinnamon – compliments the apple filling
- Salt – balances the sweetness
- Butter – use 1 cup or 16 Tbsp of unsalted, softened butter. If you forget to soften butter, watch our video for how to soften butter in 5 minutes.
The Best Apples for Apple Crisp
Select firm and crisp apples so they won’t get mushy in the oven. Apples vary a ton in sweetness so adjust sugar accordingly. We used golden delicious here with 3/4 cup of sugar. If using Granny Smith Apples, increase the sugar to 1 cup or add it to taste. Here are our favorite apples for baking:
- Golden Delicious
- Granny Smith
- Pink Lady
Pro Tip: you can use an assortment of apples and even combine sweet and tart apples.
How to Make Apple Crisp
- Prep – Butter a 9×13 casserole dish, preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Cut Apples – peel, core and slice apples into 1/4″- thick pieces (an apple peeler makes it easy), transfer to a bowl, and toss with 2 Tbsp lemon juice.
- Coat Apples – in a bowl, combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon then sprinkle over apples and stir to coat. Transfer to buttered casserole dish.
- Topping – In a mixing bowl, combine the dry topping ingredients: flour, oats, both sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Add diced softened butter and use your hands to stir in the butter until pea-sized crumbs form throughout. Spread topping evenly over your apples.
- Bake – place on the center rack in the oven and bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes until bubbling at the edges.
Pro Tip: If you want to keep your hands clean, you can mix the topping in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment until pea-sized crumbs form.
We often use the term interchangeably and the ingredients are very similar, but technically speaking, an apple crisp has a crunchy crisp topping while an apple crumble has a sandier texture.
Yes, you can replace the flour in the apple filling with corn starch and replace the flour in the topping with 1:1 gluten-free flour.
Yes; substitute 1 1/2 cup of apples with fresh or frozen cranberries, but add more sugar since cranberries are more tart.
Using an apple peeler is a major time saver. It will peel, core, and slice your apples in seconds.
The best way to serve apple crisp is to spoon a portion onto a plate while it’s still warm and top with a generous scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. The ice cream will melt slightly into the crisp and the combination of flavors is so satisfying.
- Room Temperature – store apple crisp covered at room temperature for a day but refrigerate leftovers beyond that.
- To Refrigerate – once apple crisp is at room temperature, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3-5 days.
- To Reheat – apple crisp is best served warm. You can reheat the chilled crisp in the microwave just until heated through or reheat in the oven at 350˚F for about 15 minutes.
More Autumn Desserts
These autumn dessert recipes always hit the spot when we’re craving those sweet, spicy, and comforting flavors of fall.
Classic Apple Crisp Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Classic Apple Crisp recipe with fresh sliced apples, topped with crisp and buttery cinnamon oats. So good served with vanilla ice cream.
Cost to Make:
$12-$15 (varies by season)
Servings: 10 people
For the Apple Crisp Filling:
For the Crumb Topping:
Prep: Generously Butter a 9×13 casserole dish with 1/2 Tbsp butter. Preheat the oven to 375F.
Peel core and thinly slice apples to 1/4’ thickness. You should have 12 cups of sliced apples. Squeeze 2 Tbsp lemon juice over the apples and toss to coat.
In a separate bowl, stir together 3/4 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp flour, and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon then sprinkle mixture over apples and toss to combine. Transfer apples into the buttered casserole dish.
Make the topping – in a large bowl, use your hands to stir together flour, oats, brown and granulated sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Add the diced butter and work it into the mixture with your hands until pea-sized crumbs form throughout. Spread topping over apples.
Bake at 375˚F for 45-50 minutes or until the topping is golden and crisp and apples are bubbling at the edges. The center should register above 175˚F.
*Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or a combination of any firm, crisp apples will work.
**Use 1 cup sugar or add to taste for tart apples such as Granny Smith.
Classic Apple Crisp Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 171
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 12g75%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Vitamin A 667IU13%
Vitamin C 10mg12%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.