Air Fryer Baked Potatoes are crisp on the outside yet tender and perfectly cooked on the inside, making it the best cooking method for a baked potato.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Air Fryer Baked Potato Recipe
You cannot go wrong with a baked potato as a side dish, appetizer, or even the main event. With this easy air fryer baked potato recipe, you are going to love cooking baked potatoes.
Just like you would bake the potato in the oven, you’ll get the same results with the air fryer but less cleaning and quicker cooking time. You also don’t have to wait for the air fryer to preheat like you would with an oven.
This is such an easy recipe using only 3 basic ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
- Potatoes – We recommend using Russet potatoes, also known as Idaho potatoes. You’ll want to make sure all your potatoes are the same size for even cooking.
- Oil – The oil is what gives the skin its crispiness, we use olive oil for this recipe. You can easily use cooking spray instead of oil.
- Salt – We like to add fine sea salt to the potatoes for flavor but you can use the salt you have on hand.
How to make Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Prep – Start by scrubbing potatoes under running water then pat dry throughly. Poke potatoes all over with the tines of a fork.
- Oil and salt – Add the potatoes to the air fryer basket and drizzle in oil and salt and rub the oil so that all sides of the potatoes are coated.
- Air Fry – Cook the potatoes in a basket style air fryer at 400˚F for about 30 minutes. Flip the potatoes and cook for an additional 5-15 minutes until a knife easily pierces through the center.
For a Toaster-style Air Fryer: reduce the temperature to about 375˚F, flipping halfway, and keep the timing the same.
How do you know when a Baked Potato is done?
The cook time of the baked potato will slightly vary depending on the size of the potato and your air fryer machine. Small potatoes will take less time while larger and thicker potatoes will take longer. Cook until you can easily pierce into the center of the potatoes with a knife. If your potatoes need a longer cooking time, just return the basket to the air fryer and cook another 3-5 minutes at a time.
Baked Potato Toppings
We love a fully loaded baked potato as a side dish, or even for lunch. It’s especially fun to make a baked potato bar. The toppings are endless and these are some of our favorites:
- Salt – sprinkling on a little extra is always a good idea
- Butter – dot cut potatoe with butter and let it melt over
- Sour Cream – add a generous dollop
- Bacon bits – chop up some Air Fryer Bacon
- Shredded cheese – Mexican or cheddar
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Jalapeno – sliced or diced
- Chives or green onion to garnish
Tips for Potatoes in the Air Fryer
- Test for doneness – Your potato is cooked through if a knife inserted into the center is easily pierced. You can easilly continue cooking them in the airfryer if they need more time.
- Scrub potatoes – The potatoe peels are edible and and super tasty when you salt them. Just be sure to clean the potato clean under running water before cooking it.
- Poke Potatoes with a fork – air fryer potatoes don’t have to be poked with a fork, but there is a small chance your potatoes will burst and make a mess in your air fryer which is why we take 10 seconds to poke the potatoes.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. You want the air to circulate evenly around the potatoes.
- Reheat the potato by cooking it in the air fryer at 400 until heated or use a microwave.
Air fryer baked potatoes are so satisfying, especially when they are loaded up with all the fixings. I’d love to hear about your favorite toppings in the comments.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
This recipe for Air Fryer Baked Potato comes out perfectly every time. The skin of the potato is salty and crispy while the inside is tender and fluffy.
Cost to Make:
air fryer baked potato
Servings: 4 servings
medium russet potatoes
sea salt, or to taste
or use a cooking spray
Scrub potatoes under running water then thoroughly dry with a towel.
Poke the potato all over with a fork, rub with oil and sprinkle all over with salt. Add the potatoes to the air fryer basket.
Rub potato with oil and sprinkle all over with salt. Add the potatoes to the air fryer basket.
Cook the potatoes in a basket-style air fryer* at 400°F for 30 minutes. Flip the potatoes and cook them for an additional 5-15 minutes depending on size, or until the fork easily slides through to the center. Small potatoes will take less time and larger potatoes may take longer. Use tongs to transfer potatoes to a plate.
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Vitamin A 2IU0%
Vitamin C 12mg15%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.